This is my first foray into cooking with quinoa flour. Quinoa is 100% gluten free and it seems that quinoa flour can be directly substituted for wheat flour in baking recipes. Not only is this useful for people unable to have gluten in their diets, but, as quinoa is such a healthy and delicious grain, more or less untouched since ancient times, I am sure it will be used by many, especially now that it is grown here in Tasmania.
Makes 12 muffins
2 cups quinoa flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp bicarb. soda
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1.5 tsp vanilla essence
1/3 cup light oil (I used coconut)
2/3 cup frozen raspberries
Heat the oven to 180C fan forced
- Sift flour, bicarb. soda, salt and stir in the sugar.
- Beat the eggs and mix with the milk, oil and vanilla.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry, only until combined.
- Fold in the raspberries.
- Place spoons of mixture into a muffin tin lined with paper patty pans.
- Bake 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 160C and bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest about 10 minutes.
We enjoyed them warm, with some creme fraiche I made but yoghurt would also be wonderful.
I am experimenting with recipes from ‘Cooking with Quinoa’ by Rena Patten