SANDRA’S QUICK & SIMPLE BAKED ORECCHIETTE / MAMMA’S FUSILLI
Traditionally made, the orecchiette or “little ears” pasta was made by pressing your thumb into pasta pieces to create impressions that look like an ear. Fusilli paesani or mamma’s fusilli were made by rolling pasta onto knitting needles
- 1 PKT / 375g L’Abruzzese Gourmet flavoured organic pasta (orecchiette, olive leaves, mamma’s fusilli)
- 1-2 Tbsp basil/ pesto sauce (e.g. gourmet garden or jar varieties)
- 10 Kalamata olives – pips removed then slices
- 1 small zucchini, sliced & lighly fried in oil
- A handful of semi-dried or sun-dried tomatoes
- Mozzarella cheese – 2 handfulls
- Some fetta cheese – a handful, crumbed
- Some parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 glass white wine or chicken stock (optional)
- Chilli flakes – a sprinkle
Method Boil pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water (approx 4L) to cooking times specified on packet e.g. 12 minutes for organic orecchiette, or until aldente.
While pasta is cooking, place oil in oven-proof dish. Add the basil/ pesto sauce, olives, salt & pepper. Turn on oven to 180°C. Drain pasta & add to the oven-proof dish. Mix then add the cheeses plus more salt/ pepper. Stir again. At this point the stock or wine can be added. Sprinkle chilli flakes. Bake in hot oven for approx 15mins or until cheese has turned golden.